Lease expiration could spell end for Norris copy center

Norris University Center administrators are working to determine what business will occupy the space in Norris’ ground floor currently held by The Pulse Copy & Technology Center after its lease runs out in September.

Alex Villarreal, manager of The Pulse, said he thinks the facility plans to close in June.

Norris Director Bill Johnston said officials have entered tentative talks with a variety of businesses which may be interested in the space next to the Norris Bookstore if The Pulse, which has been in its current location since 1998, decides not to renew its lease.

“We have been looking at a number of different options,” Johnston said. “There have been very preliminary discussions, but we haven’t made a decision as to what we’re going to do.”

Johnston said he is assessing the types of businesses the university community might want to occupy the “busiest corner on campus.” Besides a copy center, students have expressed interest in a convenience store or a music store, he said.

Because the discussions still are preliminary, Johnston said he is unable to name all of the companies with whom he has spoken.

But he did confirm Norris has been in contact with The UPS Store, which would offer copy and mail services as well.

“We’ve had discussions, but nothing is happening in the near future,” said Cathy Barnett, owner of The UPS Store at 1555 Sherman Ave. “I don’t know if we’re interested.”

Some students said they will be sorry to see The Pulse go, especially if it is replaced by a top national chain.

“The reason I like (The Pulse) is because its a no-name,” said Janet Kim, a Medill freshman who used The Pulse to make fliers for an event Monday. “It kind of upsets me. I don’t know where student groups will go.”