Coalition of Color backs Blake, Ciryam, Tolles

The Coalition of Color, an alliance of Northwestern multicultural groups, chose to endorse presidential candidate Michael Blake for Tuesday’s Associated Student Government elections after a day of debates and individual interviews.

The alliance comprises representatives from Alianza, Asian American Advisory Board, For Members Only, Muslim-cultural Students Association and South Asian Students Alliance.

The coalition also decided to endorse Prajwal Ciryam for academic vice president and Bryan Tolles, an unopposed candidate, for executive vice president. The coalition did not endorse a candidate for student services vice president — Adam Forsyth is the only student running.

Choosing to support Blake, former FMO coordinator, out of the four presidential candidates wasn’t easy, said Rakesh Baruah, a SASA representative. A statement released by the coalition said despite concerns about Blake’s “controversial leadership style,” representatives endorsed him because of his experience with multicultural student groups.

Sunday afternoon’s debate centered on diversity and minority issues, including the push to create more multicultural classes and opening a minority summer program to all students.

Candidates also discussed the role ASG should take in addressing the racial epithets that occurred this year.

Blake and fellow candidate Tamara Kagel agreed that although a president can try to calm students, no one in ASG can end racism.

“No matter what referendum you try to pass, discrimination will still exist,” Blake said.

Presidential candidate Mike Fong, a Weinberg junior, said ASG can educate students about other cultures through multicultural tailgates and a mentoring program.

Presidential candidate Nafis Ahmed said ASG did not react with enough force in denouncing the hate crimes. “We can spend a lot of time talking, but it’s all about action,” said Ahmed, a Communication sophomore.

Candidates also heatedly discussed Kagel’s proposal to open the Summer Academic Workshop, a minority program, to more students.

Kagel, a Communication junior, said she doesn’t see SAW as a problem. “I see diversity as a problem,” she said, “I don’t see enough of it.”

Fong agreed that expanding the program’s enrollment would let students meet people from different backgrounds.

But Blake, who was in the program as a freshman, said he was “totally opposed” to opening SAW to non-minority students. He said grouping similar students together helps build relations.

Before the presidential debate, academic vice presidential candidates Dan Broadwell and Ciryam discussed how they would improve multicultural classes if elected.

The coalition’s statement in favor of Ciryam, a Weinberg freshman, said “the strength of his platform and his enthusiasm far outweigh his single year of ASG experience.”

The coalition endorsed Tolles for executive vice president because of his previous experience on ASG’s Executive Committee.

Forsyth did not gain an endorsement because of “an unclear agenda relative to the needs of multicultural communities,” according to the coalition’s statement.