Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland
Evanston Environment Board drops fossil fuels divestment, recommends updates to leaf blower ordinance
Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

New loftable furniture premieres in Englehart’s empty dorm rooms

The Office of University Residential Life’s lofty plan to offer more variety and space in student dorm rooms is underway.

During Winter Break, the 80 unoccupied twin studios in the Engelhart Hall apartments became the first Northwestern dorm rooms to receive new loftable furniture. The Engelhart lofts are the beginning of the university’s effort to provide lofts for all dorms on campus.

Because of funding constraints, only about half of the twin studios received the furniture, said Gregg Kindle, director of Residential Life. He hopes next year the rest of the twin studios will receive the furniture, but there currently are no other dorms scheduled to obtain the lofts.

Many residents, including Engelhart Community Assistant Nana Akua Anyidoho, were uncertain about the plan’s details.

“The issue of lofted beds in studios has come up in the past, but I (was) unclear on whether or when it would be implemented,” she said.

The beds have cherry blond frames and black metal springs that can be lofted to a variety of heights depending on individual storage desires.

Engelhart resident Anthony Calabrese also was unaware of the plan but thought it would be a good idea.

“Everyone could use more space,” Calabrese, a music graduate student, said.

Margaux Bookbinder, another Engelhart resident, said the furniture would be helpful because the studio apartments are so small.

The idea originally arose last year as a bill written by former Associated Student Government Allison Hall Sen. C.J. Willey, who asked the university to allow students to construct their own lofts using wood or cinder blocks.

The specifics of the plan were then hashed out in the Undergraduate Housing Policy Advisory Committee, which is primarily a student committee with representatives from Associated Student Government, Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council and various other campus groups.

According to Willey the university would not allow students to construct their own lofts, but instead agreed to purchase the premade furniture.

“The university was concerned with the liability of students building their own lofts.” Kindle said. “They agreed to buy lofting furniture, but (students) would not be allowed to build it.”

Kindle said the initiative will be implemented as part of the regular 10-year replacement cycle of furniture for campus dorms with Engelhart being first. Thus, buying new furniture will not be a significant expense for the university.

“We were on schedule to replace the furniture in the twin studios in Engelhart,” Kindle said, “so we replaced it with loftable furniture.”

Body 3 ———————————————————————–

“This is the one-column normal quote. Use it very sparingly … only when really necessary.”