Student groups to receive tips for survival at seminar

Realizing that student group leaders can feel like they are drowning in a sea of decisions, the Campus Activities Office is hosting a free conference about skills to help groups stay afloat.

The Student Organization Symposium will be held today from 3 to 8 p.m. in the Northwestern Room at Norris University Center. Interested students can register at the door.

Campus Activities decided to offer a workshop on recruiting, motivation and marketing after surveying student groups at the Student Activities Fair at the beginning of Fall Quarter, said Edith Rivera, the event’s co-chairwoman.

“The program was designed as a mini-conference to address issues we saw student groups dealing with,” said Rivera, a Communication junior.

Student Groups Director Jennifer Fullick said she hopes students who attend the symposium will learn where they can turn for help.

“We want to have student groups become more informed and see Campus Activities as a resource,” Fullick said.

The symposium is presented in conjunction with the launch of the Student Organization Source Web site, Fullick said. Once completed, the site will give student groups online access to forms, contracts and adviser contacts.

“We’re putting everything online, so people won’t have to trek to the third floor of Norris to get a piece of paper,” Fullick said.

The symposium is divided into hour-long workshops based on student-suggested topics. Group leaders can choose from sessions about marketing, recruiting, gaining corporate sponsorship, running effective meetings and motivating members.

“I’m hoping students will gain an understanding that there are very specific things they can do to help their groups grow and advance,” Rivera said.

Another goal of the conference is to help students network and discuss organizational difficulties with others who can offer advice.

“It’s a great way to connect with other student group leaders,” Fullick said.

Aside from creating seminars based on student suggestions, Campus Activities also asked students what NU staff members should teach the classes, Fullick said.

Allen Lentino, senior associate director of admissions and financial aid, agreed to teach a session on recruiting techniques so he could offer a professional perspective.

“(The conference) will add to their leadership skills and help them to become a bit more structured,” Lentino said.

Students planning to attend the conference said they are excited to learn skills to apply to their organizations.

“I want to get an objective perspective and become more informed about ways of managing groups and becoming more inspiring to constituents of those groups,” said Constance Nelson, a Communication junior representing multicultural theater group Entity.

Fullick said about 40 students and advisers signed up for the symposium, close to her goal of 50. If this year’s event is successful, she would like to host the program annually.

“I think next year we’ll definitely try to get student groups on board to be chairs for the event,” Fullick said. “They’ll have the best idea of what we need.”