Getting fancy with garbage

Trash in Evanston is getting the royal treatment.

In an effort to alleviate litter problems plaguing residents near Evanston’s commercial areas, the city has purchased adoptable “fancy cans” for residents in targeted areas. But some residents say there is nothing fancy about the program.

According to Community Development Block Grant administrator Sally Lufkin, the city has purchased 15 fancy cans, which are metal trash receptacles with vertical bars and lids attached. The purchase was made possible with Housing and Urban Development funds and is meant for low- to moderate-income residents.

“The cans are placed in hopes that people who walk by will use it instead of throwing trash on the ground,” Lufkin said.

Lufkin said residents must apply to receive a can in their area. If the application is approved, the streets and sanitation department will install the can and supply residents with garbage bags, she said. The resident who adopts the can is responsible for emptying it and replacing the bags.

“If you don’t take good care of your fancy can, we’re going to take it away from you,” she said.

So far the program is in the preliminary stage to gauge residents’ interest. Of the original 15 cans, the city has placed seven and received applications for three more, Lufkin said. Next year the city will try to purchase more cans using HUD grant money.

The cans are designed for residents near business districts, such as the intersections of Dempster and Dodge avenues, where patrons of nearby stores tend to drop their trash on the ground, Lufkin said.

“The cans may not do anything to change people’s habits, but it might make it a little easier to pick up after them,” Lufkin said.

Some residents said the program is a good idea but they have little faith that people will use the cans on a regular basis.

“If people are right next to the cans, they might (use them),” said William Robinson, of the 1800 block of Brown Avenue. “It would help, but not too much.”