Evanston restaurants offer delicious diversions for hungry house guests

It’s late May. You’re stuck in school, and your friends are already on summer break.

They call you up. “Hey, I’m coming to visit!” they say. You grumble. You have exams and papers, but they sound so excited – so you agree.

They arrive, and they’re hungry. So what do you do? What restaurant exudes Northwestern? What typifies the NU student dining experience? What do you share as the gem of Evanston’s culinary buffet?

You may want to start at Giordano’s of Evanston, 500 Davis St. Deep-dish pizza is a Chicago legacy, and despite imitators nationwide, no one can do it as well. Bring your friends by and let their anticipation build during the 45-minute cooking time (approximate) for the stuffed pizza.

If they’re in the mood for homestyle American, there’s Clarke’s, 720 Clark St, which serves up breakfast all day long. And good old-fashioned food in hearty portions will not disappoint your hungry, wayward visitors.

Or, if they have not yet experienced the joy-wrapped-in-a-tortilla that is a fajita burrito from Chipotle Mexican Grill, 711 Church St., make sure to bring them to this popular student getaway.

And if all else fails and you want to use your visitors as an excuse to go outside Evanston’s borders, head over to Old Orchard Shopping Center in Skokie, on the corner of Golf Road and Skokie Boulevard. You’ll have your choice of many fine dining establishments including Maggiano’s Little Italy, California Pizza Kitchen and the Cheesecake Factory.

So fill ’em up with good food, and put your friends back on the El to the city.

You’ve got studying to do.