Queering The Map shows queer love on campus
‘You know absolutely nothing’: Students frustrated with NU’s handling of academic integrity cases
NU’s Summer Class Schedule offers flexibility, opportunities for academic advancement
Community awards, advocacy headline Evanston’s fifth annual Juneteenth parade
Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland
Evanston Environment Board drops fossil fuels divestment, recommends updates to leaf blower ordinance

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

FMO swears in new officers at first-ever dinner for event

At a dinner Friday night to install For Members Only’s 2002-03 officers, the new leaders said they plan to build on the group’s foundation of successful programming and organized leadership.

“We’ve come far as a people, but we have a long way to go,” said Michael Blake, FMO’s new coordinator. “We are ready to take the next step so we can go places we haven’t gone before.”

About 30 students, administrators and alumni watched the installation of FMO’s six new officers, the first time FMO has held a reception in honor of the old and new boards.

In addition to swearing in Blake, the group also installed Heather Foster, vice coordinator of satellites; Pia Miller, vice coordinator of programming; Candace Walker, treasurer; Kristin McKee, Associated Student Government senator; Adrienne Lawrence, secretary; and Tiffany Pendleton, head of publicity.

Administrators such as William Banis, vice president for student affairs, and Carretta Cooke, director for African-American Student Affairs, praised the former board, led by Tiffany Berry, a Weinberg junior who now serves as ASG student services vice president.

“As seen in hard work in planning events bringing Angela Davis and Cedric the Entertainer to campus, FMO has come alive and become vibrant this year,” Cooke said. “I look forward to the coming year as well.”

As others thanked the former board, Blake spoke about the future during his speech.

“The mentality I want to have in office is that nothing is too hard to overcome,” Blake said.

Curtis Askew, interim assistant director of African-American Student Affairs, stressed the importance of accountability to the community.

“When we speak with a voice that’s clear in saying we want to go forward, that’s when NU will take us seriously,” Askew said.