Mer-sea killing

While the campus reacted with surprise Wednesday to administrators’ decision to pave over four acres of the Lagoon without first seeking student input, two recent Associated Student Government presidents called the move typical.

“I’m not surprised,” said Adam Humann, Weinberg ’01, now a legal assistant in Washington, D.C. “It should be a no-brainer, unconscious reaction to include students in something like that. You’ve got to know it’s going to piss people off if you’re going to fill in the Lakefill! … But it’s so stupid because it’s one of those things that they could so easily prevent by saying ‘Hey ASG’ or ‘Hey Daily’ or ‘Hey students – we’re thinking about doing this. What do you think?'”

Former ASG President “Evil” Dave Sheldon knows what he thinks.

“(University President Henry) Bienen is a part of what I would call an – oh, I don’t know. I would say it’s an Axis of Evil,” said Sheldon, McCormick ’99, now a software engineer at Microsoft in Redmond, Wash.

Sheldon’s four presidential campaigns featured tongue-in-cheek demands for reparations for the People of the Lake, an aquatic race that was massacred when the Lakefill was built in 1961. Sheldon said alumni should remember the Lakefill’s victims before donating.

“Every dollar they spend on football season tickets … every chair they endow is money in the pocket of the Axis of Evil that plans and finances this sort of activity. They should remember that it’s not just their name across the building. Their name is also written in blood across the corpse of every slaughtered mer-creature.”

– Casey Newton