10th annual Unity Soccer Festival celebrates diversity, sportsmanship
Four individuals face charges for April’s pro-Palestine encampment

Football: Northwestern embracing realigned conference challenge at Big Ten Media Days

Crackdown on NU’s social scene is result of our own stupidity

City editor Liz Austin is a Medill junior. She can be reached at [email protected].

So you wanna know about Northwestern’s social scene?

Don’t ask me.

I spend about eight hours a day holed up in this slice of heaven we like to call The Daily. I go to class, and on my days off, I do my homework. Hey, sometimes I can even fit in a powernap or two.

So when I finally muster up the energy to have fun, it’s nothing short of amazing.

And I never know where to go.

Case in point: Having personally declared Saturday a national holiday in recognition of the Cats’ victory over the evil Wisconsin Badgers, I donned my most seductive attire and set off in search of a good time.

I marched up Sheridan Road toward that social mecca known as North Campus, dragging along a friend from DePaul who insists that parties aren’t nearly this hard to find in Lincoln Park.

Miraculously we ran into a fraternity friend who pointed us toward a party on Foster Street. And off we went.

Not a block later, my friend and I realized we were no longer alone.

Following close in our footsteps was a pack of no fewer than 25 freshmen, all of whom looked a bit too eager to find a party teeming with people you don’t know chugging watered-down beer and Osco-brand vodka.

We knew we had found the right spot when we came upon a house whose front yard was littered with plastic cups and beer cans. Two guys were peeing on the wall of the garage next door and I’m pretty sure someone else was puking around back. I didn’t stop to check.

We ditched that scene in no time flat. It’s a good thing, too, because as we walked away, two police cars pulled up in front of the house. Party over.

Some people might say that the Evanston Police Department and University Police are coming down a little too hard on innocent college kids who just want to have some fun.

I mean, NU students work hard. Why shouldn’t we get to play hard, too?

Let me tell you something. You can. Just don’t be dumb about it.

Believe it or not, these police officers aren’t out to spoil your day for lack of better things to do. They are responsible for protecting the rights of Evanston residents who want nothing more than a good night’s sleep and a clean lawn in the morning.

If you travel from party to party in groups of 10 or more, you’re asking for trouble. The officers don’t think you’re walking around Ridge and Noyes looking for some good Chinese food.

If you host a party and let people stand around outside, drop garbage all over the place and puke on your neighbor’s steps — once again, you’re asking for trouble. Keep the music down and the guests indoors, and you can party ’til the sun comes up without a visit from EPD.

If we cracked down more on our own stupidity, then the cops wouldn’t have to crack down on our fun.