Smino to return to NU, headline A&O Ball Friday

Smino%2C+headlining+A%26amp%3BO%E2%80%99s+Ball+event+Friday%2C+is+visiting+NU+for+the+third+time.+The+rapper+performed+at+Dillo+Day+in+2016+and+opened+for+Carly+Rae+Jepsen+at+the+A%26amp%3BO%E2%80%99s+Blowout+event+in+2018+%28pictured+here%29.+
Daily File Photo by Katie Pach
Smino, headlining A&O’s Ball event Friday, is visiting NU for the third time. The rapper performed at Dillo Day in 2016 and opened for Carly Rae Jepsen at the A&O’s Blowout event in 2018 (pictured here).

Grammy-nominated musician Smino will headline A&O Productions’ annual Ball, with local artists Ausar and m.e.h. opening, A&O announced Sunday.

Smino performed at Dillo Day in 2016 and opened for Carly Rae Jepsen at A&O’s 2018 Blowout concert. With one more album and one more EP under his belt, the rapper will return to headline Ball at Metro in Chicago at 7 p.m. Friday.

The rapper is most known for songs like “Wild Irish Roses,” which has over 100 million streams on Spotify, and has collaborated with artists like J. Cole, Saba and Doja Cat. In 2023, he visited Chicago on his “Luv is 4Ever Tour,” which he co-headlined with rapper JID.

Smino described his music as very personal in Sunday’s press release.

“I’m not trying to be like anyone else’s art,” he said. “I’m just trying to be the art that’s coming out of me. It’s just honest.”

Chicago-based singers and rappers Ausar and m.e.h. will each perform an opening set. In the release, Ausar said he is “just trying to change lives with his music.” m.e.h., a recent graduate of Columbia College Chicago’s Contemporary, Urban and Popular Music program, said she is “working on perfecting her craft.”

Free event tickets for NU students will be available through the Norris Box Office Monday at 3 p.m., and A&O will provide free transportation on Friday to and from the Wrigleyville venue.

X: @marywrandolph