Caleb Snead and Ty’Shea Woods win ASG presidential election with heightened turnout

Photo courtesy of Caleb Snead and Ty’Shea Woods
According to Snead and Woods, their first task in office will be to appoint Executive Board members based on their campaign mission of amplifying student voices.

SESP sophomore Caleb Snead and Weinberg sophomore Ty’Shea Woods won the Associated Student Government presidential election with 59.6% of the vote. Snead and Woods will take office as co-presidents during the sixth week of Spring Quarter.

According to Weinberg junior and ASG Election Commissioner Paul Graham, 1,188 students voted in the election — an almost 679% increase from a record low 175 votes last year.

“Both sets of candidates ran great and clean campaigns focused on the issues,” Graham said. “We congratulate Caleb Snead and Ty’Shea Woods on their victory and we wish them all the best in their future co-presidency.”

Graham said ASG’s Communications Committee played a key role in increasing voter turnout by promoting the election. Presidential candidates and Executive Board members tabled in Norris University Center Friday to encourage students to vote.

The runners-up were Weinberg junior Nicole Aguilar-Medina and SESP junior Anna Alava, who received 36.7% of the vote. The “No confidence” option on the ballot received 3.7%.

“The immense gratitude filling our hearts fuels the passion and urgency behind our work,” Snead and Woods said in a statement to The Daily Sunday.

The presidents-elect said their first task in office will be to build their executive team. They said their ideal team will share their mission to amplify student voices.

“We enthusiastically ask that each and every student hold us accountable to everything we’ve said in our campaign season and beyond,” Snead and Woods said. “The next chapter of ASG will be co-created by us all.”

X: @IsaiahStei27