Queering The Map shows queer love on campus
‘You know absolutely nothing’: Students frustrated with NU’s handling of academic integrity cases
NU’s Summer Class Schedule offers flexibility, opportunities for academic advancement
Community awards, advocacy headline Evanston’s fifth annual Juneteenth parade
Race Against Hate: Ricky Byrdsong’s Legacy
The Week Ahead, June 17-23: Juneteenth, Summer Solstice and Pride Celebrations in Chicagoland
Evanston Environment Board drops fossil fuels divestment, recommends updates to leaf blower ordinance

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Weinberg Prof. Gerald Gabrielse to receive Norman F. Ramsey Prize

Daily file photo by Ava Mandoli
The Technological Institute. Physics Prof. Gerald Gabrielse will be recognized Tuesday for his research on the Standard Model.

American Physical Society Fellow and Physics Prof. Gerald Gabrielse will receive the 2024 Norman F. Ramsey Prize in Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics and Precision Tests of Fundamental Laws and Symmetries, the APS announced Tuesday.

The prize recognizes outstanding physics research, important applications of physics, leadership in or service to physics and significant contributions to physics education. 

Gabrielse is recognized for advancing the search for the electric dipole moment of the electron and for placing stringent constraints on modifications to the Standard Model — a theoretical framework in physics that describes fundamental particles and their interactions.

He will receive a $10,000 check and serve on the following year’s selection committee. 

Gabrielse’s lab in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences uses methods of quantum science to precisely test the Standard Model and search for physics beyond the Model.

Gabrielse is the founding director of the Center for Fundamental Physics at NU, which specializes in investigating fundamental particles’ interactions and testing theoretical descriptions of physics. 

Including Gabrielse, the prize has honored seven recipients since its establishment in 2017. 

The prize is a collaborative effort between the APS Topical Group on Precision Measurement and Fundamental Constants and the Division of Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics. Each group appoints three members to serve on the selection committee. 

Twitter: @HabashySam