Northwestern students dive into fall spirit with campus experiences

Illustration by Shveta Shah
A variety of fall-themed treats and events are available to students throughout the quarter.

The leaves are falling, the air is crisp, pumpkins and ghosts are everywhere, and the wind is whipping off Lake Michigan. With autumn in full swing, Northwestern organizations look to embrace the atmosphere with a bevy of fall-themed events.

The South Area Council hosted a Trader Joe’s tasting and mini pumpkin painting in the Allison Lounge Wednesday. Weinberg first-year Kaleb Bandele said the event was a great way to meet new people.

“It was my first South Area event, but I would say it was a cool way to socialize,” Bandele said. “It went with the season.”

Bandele said, as he has grown accustomed to campus life, he and his friends have developed their own inside jokes, which inspired his pumpkin painting.

Students can find a variety of fall-themed treats all throughout campus. On North Campus, the Protein Bar and Kitchen in the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion features two autumn-themed protein shakes — the Smashing Pumpkin and the Boo Berry. 

For those that love pumpkin spice, the Starbucks inside Norris University Center features six fall items — four drinks and two snacks — including the classic Pumpkin Spice Latte.

To prepare for Halloween, the NU Thrift Store held an event for students to thrift clothes at low prices for their costumes. Weinberg sophomore Kelsey Lee, said the club’s mission is to provide sustainable fashion to the first-generation low income community at NU and be a source of education about sustainability.

“I think it’s important to host events like this just so that we can be like sort of a place of support for the Northwestern FGLI community — and not just the FGLI community, but also we do host these events for the greater Northwestern public as well,” Lee said

Along with supporting the NU community, the thrift store donates its proceeds to various charitable causes.

Weinberg first-year Emani Larkin did not have many expectations going into the thrift store, but said she left excited about her finds.

“I went to the NU thrifting event because I love vintage finds,” Larkin said. “I think it’s so fun to see clothes with history and also get a great deal.”

As October comes to a close, there are still a variety of spooky events around campus for students to try. NU Dining will be hosting a Fall Fest on Norris East Lawn from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday. The event will feature a DJ, hot apple cider, hot chocolate and smores.

ARTica studios is also hosting Halloween Fun Art on Wednesday where students can paint on a bisque pumpkin or plate, or decorate a faux pumpkin. The event will also offer candy, hot cider and pumpkin bread.

Twitter: @taylorhancock23