Baseball: Many questions lie ahead of 2024 season for Northwestern

Northwestern+players+walk+across+the+field.+Many+questions+lie+ahead+for+NU+as+it+prepares+for+the+2024+season.+
Daily file photo by Mika Ellison
Northwestern players walk across the field. Many questions lie ahead for NU as it prepares for the 2024 season.

The 2023 season was not kind to Northwestern. Finishing 4-20 in conference play and 10-40 overall, NU suffered its most defeats in program history and finished last in the Big Ten.

The start of the season could not have been worse for the Cats. After starting off the season 0-6, the team lost three assistant coaches in the middle of season, leaving them to finish out the season without a full coaching staff. 

Making matters worse was a tumultuous offseason. Following reports of coach Jim Foster creating an abusive environment that included bullying and sexism, the University indefinitely suspended him. 

The team’s poor 2023 showing and Foster’s alleged negligent culture likely caused many players to enter the transfer portal. When Foster was initially relieved of his duties on July 13, there were fifteen NU players in the transfer portal.  

Furthering the blow, the Cats lost key contributors both offensively and on their pitching staff. Hitters Alex Calarco and Stephen Hrustich transferred to conference rivals Maryland and Michigan, respectively, while pitchers Sam Garewal and David Utagawa transferred to Stanford and University of California Irvine. 

Now as the Cats look towards the 2024 season, a lot of questions arise about the roster and coaching staff. The team mostly consists of underclassmen and still needs to fill out its roster. NU announced former MLB outfielder Brian Anderson as its interim coach, but it is still unclear whether he will lead the team when the season starts. 

Ultimately, the expectations for Northwestern baseball are low entering the upcoming season. With a low bar set from this past season and the offseason, NU can only look up from here. 

Twitter: @aayushyagarwal7