Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Honda Sport Award
District 65 School Board votes to close Dr. Bessie Rhodes School
Kathryn Hahn declares class of 2024 “worthy of celebration” in commencement address
Pro-Palestinian graduates walk out of 2024 Commencement Ceremony in solidarity with Gaza
‘Wildcats should have wild dreams:’ Nikki Okrah delivers optimistic 2024 Weinberg Convocation address
The Daily Explains: Contextualizing the Evanston reparations lawsuit
NU announces plans to prevent disruptions at commencement

Lacrosse: Northwestern’s Izzy Scane wins 2024 Tewaaraton Award

May 30, 2024

Lacrosse: No. 1 Northwestern falls 14-13 to No. 2 Boston College in national championship battle

May 26, 2024

Campus Kitchens fills plates and hearts

Why Club Sports at Northwestern?

Women’s Tennis: The Cats aim to put last season in the past

The+Cats+might+have+some+home-grown+stars+this+season%2C+as+new+players+rise+up+to+be+leaders.+
Daily file photo by Joanne Haner
The Cats might have some home-grown stars this season, as new players rise up to be leaders.

This past season was a struggle for the Wildcats, who went 12-13, 7-4 Big 10 and missed out on the NCAA tournament for the first time in 23 years. 

In the months since that difficult season drew to a close, the squad took another hit with the graduation of Christina Hand, who came into last season ranked No. 57, and Briana Crowley, two of the team’s top players. 

The loss of Hand and Crowley does not bode well for a team that has already been struggling, but a few graduate transfers will hope to fill the team’s experience gap. 

Britany Lau and Elisa Van Meeteren will be coming to Evanston from Brown and William & Mary, respectively. The graduate transfers will bring with them experience in the NCAA tournament, and that familiarity will be incredibly valuable to this relatively young team. 

The Cats might also have some home-grown stars this season, as new players rise up to be leaders. 

Keep an eye on Maria Shusharina, a senior and All-Big 10 selection, to help lead the way. She has plenty of experience playing the top singles spot and doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon. Junior Justine Leong will be a similar presence to watch as she continues to occupy the top singles courts. 

This season will be a tough one — but if the team’s younger core can come into their own, the Cats have a chance at pulling off a shocker. 

Twitter: @alycebrownn