Your guide to Northwestern’s student journalism scene

Illustration by Olivia Abeyta
If you’re looking to snag some bylines during your time at NU, look no further for a breakdown of the journalism scene beyond the arch.

Along with its prestigious journalism program, Northwestern is home to an array of student publications that offer opportunities for experience outside of the classroom for any student, regardless of their area of study. If you’re looking to snag some bylines during your time at NU, look no further for a breakdown of the journalism scene beyond the arch.

Ethnicity-oriented publications

NU Asian Magazine and BlackBoard Magazine grant students an outlet for publishing ethnicity-based stories and work. NU Asian Magazine, also known as nuAZN, publishes print magazines with a focus on Asian American and Asian stories. BlackBoard offers print and online content that centers around the Black experience at NU, the U.S. and around the world. 

Magazines and blogs

With opportunities within various mediums, the University’s student-run magazines each offer room to explore a variety of themes digitally and in print. 

North by Northwestern, or NBN, publishes print magazines on a quarterly basis and regular digital content. A large general interest publication, its topics range from dorm guides to political headlines. Anyone interested can be involved in design, photography, writing and more.

Interested in sports? Look no further than SB Nation’s NU site, Inside NU. Producing content mainly on their site and on social media, the publication is dedicated to following the Wildcats through coverage and analysis. 

Another chapter-based publication is Her Campus. NU’s chapter, which requires an application, publishes digitally on a division of the Her Campus website, with additional activity and content on social media. 

Looking to do more environmental reporting? In Our Nature, a paperless magazine, publishes a variety of article types and sustainability tips on their website and nature photos on social media.

If you want to dive into the world of business reporting, Northwestern Business Review could help. A digital publication, NBR covers topics from tech to careers.

If you’re trying to make the arts more seen and heard, give Scene+Heard a try. Through video, photo and article form, their content takes a deeper dive into the arts and culture around the area.

Whether you’ve played around with stitchwork or been fascinated by those who do, STITCH could be the key to exploring your admiration for fashion. Known as NU’s fashion magazine, STITCH publishes print theme-based magazines with articles and photoshoots each quarter.

If you want a taste of dishing on different dishes, Spoon University might be the place for you. The NU chapter of the nationwide publication publishes a variety of food-based content online and in quarter-based print magazines.

If you’d like to explore writing outside of anything news-related, Helicon could be a perfect fit. Known as the school’s literary magazine, it publishes prose, poetry and art.

Broadcast

If microphones and cameras are of more interest to you, there are also wide opportunities in broadcast on campus. 

Northwestern News Network, or NNN, is the campus broadcast news station. Students work to broadcast live coverage of politics, local news, campus news, sports and the arts on a weekly basis at the on-campus broadcast studio.

WNUR, the student radio station, has various subsections that allow for exploring different interests. If you’re interested in sports coverage, WNUR Sports might be a good fit. WNUR News, in addition to hard news, also offers arts and entertainment, weather and “oddities,” a section for bizarre but interesting news headlines.

Academic publications

Northwestern Undergraduate Law Journal, or NULJ, offers a space for law-related pieces based on any topic of interest. Application-based, the journal publishes its scholarly articles online after multi-step editing. 

Northwestern Undergraduate Research Journal, or NURJ, is the only research journal that brings both students and faculty into the picture. NURJ offers a space to practice a variety of skills that are key to the process of publishing original research.

Satire

The Northwestern Flipside, also known as Flipside, is the campus take on nationwide publication The Onion. Making fun of anything from campus mishaps to nationwide headlines, Flipside publishes on its website and on social media. 

The Gutter is a new Instagram account that brings satire to all things Northwestern. While it’s not officially affiliated with the University, it allows for submissions from users via Google form.

Us

You’re currently flipping through it! The Daily Northwestern, commonly known as The Daily, is a large general interest publication that routinely publishes content from the newsroom five days a week and covers breaking news stories. The only publication that prints twice weekly, we also publish content on social media, a website and a newsletter and offer opportunities to expand experience in print, video, audio, photo and much more.

Twitter: @TheMicahSandy