So now you go to Northwestern: Navigating the wide publications scene

Illustration by Olivia Abeyta

Northwestern has more than 20 different student publications and advocacy groups to get to know.

Joanne Haner, Multimedia Editor

With more than 20 different publications and advocacy groups, trying to understand student journalism at Northwestern can be overwhelming. But don’t worry, the Daily has your back. Here’s a breakdown of NU’s many student publications and journalism organizations.

NU Asian Magazine 

As one of NU’s two ethnicity-oriented publications, NUAZN publishes at least twice a year, with a focus on Asian and Asian-American stories.

BlackBoard Student Magazine 

BlackBoard is the University’s only Black-interest publication, providing a space for students to publish their work about Black issues at NU and beyond. 

The Deep End 

Self-branded as the “intersection of comedy and journalism,” The Deep End is a “Weekend Update”-style filmed show. Each quarterly episode takes a satirical and informative deep dive into an  issue relevant to the Northwestern community. 

The Northwestern Flipside 

Commonly known as “Flipside,” this publication is Northwestern’s own version of “The Onion.” Part of the larger Flipside News Network at NU, Flipside and their furry mascot Flippy aim to make students laugh with their magazines and punchy online content. 

Helicon 

Helicon is a student-run literary magazine that publishes two issues throughout the year. The group has highlighted student prose, poetry and art since 1979. 

Her Campus 

The NU chapter of Her Campus publishes weekly content about entertainment, lifestyle, news and more. They also publish tips and guides to help students through the college experience. 

Inside NU 

One of the ways to get involved with sports journalism on campus, Inside NU calls themselves “a Northwestern Wildcats community.” With their large Twitter presence, it’s likely you’ll see an athletic update or two from them during your time at NU. 

In Our Nature 

In Our Nature is a paperless magazine that focuses on environmental reporting. They publish features, opinions and tips on their website, and also feature student-submitted nature photos on their Instagram. 

Northwestern News Network 

Commonly abbreviated as NNN, Northwestern News Network is the one and only campus broadcast news station. Each week, students work both in front of and behind the camera to produce content in sports, politics, local news and more. 

North by Northwestern 

More widely known as NBN, North by Northwestern is a large general interest publication that  produces quarterly newsmagazines and regularly publishes content online, ranging from politics to interactive quizzes. No application process is required for students looking to get involved, and there are spaces for photographers, designers and writers alike. 

Northwestern Undergraduate Law Journal 

Founded in 2019, NULJ provides students with a space for law-related submissions and discussions. In addition to their scholarly articles, they also host a podcast series interviewing legal experts across the country. 

Northwestern Undergraduate Research Journal

NURJ is the only peer- and faculty-reviewed journal of undergraduate research articles on campus. If you’re looking for a way to gain experience with writing, editing and publishing original research, NURJ may be the place for you. 

Northwestern Business Review 

Founded in 2005, the Northwestern Business Review is NU’s premiere business-interest publication. At the intersection of journalism and economics, NBR’s content ranges from finance to technology. 

Scene+Heard 

Since 2014, Scene+Heard has been NU’s primary arts and culture publication. Their articles, videos and photo essays tell stories about the Chicago area’s art scene, whether that be new galleries at the Block Museum, impactful music or reviews of the latest movies. 

Sherman Ave 

Described as “heinous” on both their website and Instagram bio, Sherman Ave is a satirical website here at NU – but it isn’t officially affiliated with the University. Every quarter they welcome new members to “Rush Sherman Ave” through an application process. 

Spoon University 

Have a sweet tooth? Craving the best burgers around? Spoon is the publication for all things food. The NU chapter of the national publication publishes content online and creates two magazines a year.

STITCH

If you’ve got a knack for slacks, a hankering for handkerchiefs or any other clothing item out there, STITCH might be the place for you. As NU’s premier fashion magazine, STITCH publishes magazines quarterly, each one with a different theme and filled with articles and photoshoots created entirely by students. 

Syllabus Yearbook 

Calling all yearbook kids! Since 1885, Syllabus has been NU’s official undergraduate yearbook. With the Students Publishing Company, Syllabus creates a hardcover yearbook filled with memories and events from the year. 

WNUR 

More than just a student radio station, WNUR hosts many subsections. Interested in doing on-air news radio? Look no further than WNUR news. Interested in keeping Wildcats posted during sporting events? WNUR Sports could be for you. Want to cover local artists and concerts? Look into WNUR Media Team! WNUR’s media team, also known as WNUR 89.3FM, also works with students to create a physical magazine known as Wavelength.

You’re looking at it! The Daily is another large general interest publication here at Northwestern, and, per the name, we put out content daily. (Well, five days a week.) Since our beginnings in 1881, we’ve rounded up quite a few awards for our coverage and design. We have a wide array of desks and positions, with content ranging from news around Evanston to sports photography to podcasts about the NU theater scene. 

Outside of the multitude of student publications at Northwestern, there are also various groups and affinity spaces for students interested in the industry. 

Asian American Student Journalists

The Northwestern chapter of AASJ is a space for AAPI students to come together. In addition to bringing students together through bonding events, the group connects students with mentors and hosts workshops with professionals in the industry. 

Association for Women in Sports Media 

Since 2015, AWSM has been an advocacy group for women in the sports industry. The group connects current students with professionals in the industry for insight and networking opportunities. 

National Association of Black Journalists

NABJ serves as a “resource and an outlet” for Black students interested in pursuing careers in communications and journalism. NU’s NABJ chapter is a space where Black student journalists can grow and enhance their skills. 

National Association of Hispanic Journalists

As part of a national organization, NU’s NAHJ chapter serves as an affinity and advocacy space for Latine students looking to pursue journalism. They host bonding events, bring in speakers and network through the national organization. 

Society of Professional Journalists

SPJ is the oldest nationwide network of professional journalists. NU’s SPJ chapter connects students with journalists through speaker events, and they also host workshops for students to advance their journalism skills. 

Twitter: @joanne_n_h