Northwestern’s Spiritual Spaces: Finding Religious Communities on Campus

Illustration by Paloma Leone-Getten
This guide aims to serve as a starting point for new Wildcats, helping to uncover the various religious and spiritual communities on campus.

Beginning your college journey at Northwestern can be intimidating. While NU has an abundance of clubs, communities and support spaces, incoming students often find themselves unaware of the opportunities the university offers. 

This guide aims to serve as a starting point for new Wildcats, helping to uncover the various religious and spiritual communities on campus. Joining a religious organization or club can be a great way for new students to connect with like-minded individuals and find support throughout their time at NU. For more information, Religious and Spiritual Life has many resources on their website

Meditation and Prayer Spaces on Campus

The NU Religious and Spiritual Center provides students with a range of spaces for meditation and prayer. Located on South Campus, the facility contains three main spaces: Alice Millar Chapel, Jeanne Vail Chapel and Parkes Hall. 

Alice Millar Chapel frequently hosts musical performances and, along with Jeanne Vail Chapel, boasts beautiful stained glass.

Parkes Hall houses both a Multi-Belief Space and a Muslim Prayer Space. Jummah, Friday Muslim prayers, are held nearly every week in the Parkes.

Prayer and meditation spaces are also dispersed throughout campus. Norris University Center features a prayer room in its basement and the Technological Institute provides a meditation room.

For those who prefer outdoor prayer spaces, Northwestern’s lakeside campus offers beautiful gardens and beaches for meditation. The Shakespeare Garden serves as a space for reflection, abundant with plants and flowers mentioned in Shakespeare’s works. 

Christianity and Catholicism 

The Sheil Catholic Center is a hub for worship, learning and communion centered around the Roman Catholic faith. Supporting the Catholic Student Association, Sheil provides a multitude of educational, spiritual and social opportunities for Catholic students seeking fellowship. 

There are a number of Christian ministries on campus, representing different denominations and providing students with enriching opportunities for learning, worship and service. These include: 

• Canterbury House NU, the Episcopal campus ministry 
  • University Christian Ministry, sponsored by the United Methodist Church and the Presbyterian Church 
  • Lutheran Campus Ministry

Hinduism

Hindu YUVA is a student organization that fosters collaboration between Hindu and non-Hindu students, emphasizing community service and the celebration of Hindu festivals. The organization frequently hosts live performances and community service events, embodying its namesake as Youth for Unity, Virtues and Actions. 

OM is a spiritual student group on campus dedicated to celebrating and sharing Hinduism and Vedic culture with the NU community through educational dialogues and social events. OM provides an environment for prayer and exploration, curating an atmosphere of curiosity and spiritual growth. 

Muslim Faith

The Muslim-cultural Students Association is a group dedicated to nurturing the religious well-being of NU’s Muslim community. They engage in weekly meetings, bonding activities and programming events. Notably, McSA has organized events featuring Muslim speakers, comedians and musicians. 

The Shia Muslim Association promotes meaningful dialogue among its members and the broader NU community. As a space for learning and prayer, SMA offers its members nuanced perspectives of Islam through workshops and lectures. 

Judaism

NU Hillel represents one chapter of the world’s largest Jewish college campus organization, Hillel International. Serving as “the foundation for Jewish life on campus,” NU Hillel celebrates Jewish life through a social and religious calendar, including an annual formal and Mega Shabbat event. 

NU Chabad, another Jewish organization on campus, is a division of the Tannenbaum Chabad House and the first Chabad center to open in the state of Illinois. Through an array of holiday services, weekly Shabbat dinners and social outings, Chabad strengthens Jewish community at NU and in Evanston.

Sikhism

Seva is NU’s inaugural student organization dedicated to Sikhism. Seva aims to represent and support Sikh students on campus through its programming—including Wildcat Langar, a free community meal. 

Interfaith

Sponsored by Religious and Spiritual Life, NU’s Interfaith Initiative strives to build presence and awareness of all faiths on campus. Through weekly dinners and discussion, NUii strengthens the mutual respect of diverse religious groups at NU. 

Twitter: @MulchroneEvelyn