Citizens’ Greener Evanston changes name to Climate Action Evanston

Climate Action Evanston, formerly Citizens’ Greener Evanston, has a long history of working with city government and with Evanston residents on local climate issues.

Lily Carey, Senior Staffer

Citizens’ Greener Evanston, a local environmental advocacy organization started in 1999, announced it will change its name to Climate Action Evanston Thursday.

The name change will come alongside other efforts to shift along with a new generation of climate engagement, according to a news release. The organization’s board has been working on rebranding since 2021.

“Our name change, our internal reassessment and our website reboot are all efforts to reach deeper into the community and to increase our effectiveness,” board member Leslie Shad said. “Time is too short. We need progress on climate action now.”

Climate Action Evanston has a history of working closely with the city to prioritize climate action goals. The group also focuses on equipping local grassroots movements. Its five working groups aim to organize within different areas of climate issues — renewable energy, food, waste, natural habitat and environmental justice.

In 2022, the group saw a leadership change, with co-leads Lauren Marquez-Viso and Chuck Wasserburg taking office. The pair have aimed to focus on accessibility, intersectionality and actionable change, they told The Daily in October.

With a new name and a new emphasis on direct action, Wasserburg said in Thursday’s release he wants to continue building Climate Action Evanston’s relationship with the city’s climate efforts.

“As an activist group we won’t hesitate to apply pressure when we sense that the City is dragging its feet or that important sectors of the community are being ignored,” he said.

Twitter: @lilylcarey