History Prof. and Organization of Women Faculty co-chairs win Provost Awards for Exemplary Faculty Service

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

The Provost Awards for Exemplary Faculty Service are presented each year by the Office of the Provost.

Pavan Acharya, Campus Editor

History Prof. Laura Hein and Organization of Women Faculty co-Chairs Karen Alter and Leslie Harris won the Provost Awards for Exemplary Faculty Service, the University announced.

The award, presented each year by the Office of the Provost, recognizes faculty members who exemplify “good academic citizenship” and provide “outstanding service to the University,” according to a NU press release.

Alter and Harris, professors of political science and history, respectively, are being recognized for their efforts to support women faculty as co-chairs of OWF, the release said. They incorporated survey results of the pandemic’s impact on women faculty into an OWF report.

Hein has advocated for non-Western history within her department, according to the release. She also spearheaded the effort to establish the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures.

“(Hein) worked tirelessly to make Asia — and the non-Western world beyond Asia — a presence on our campus,” a nominee said in the release. 

Twitter: @PavanAcharya02