Evanston Art Center features artists over the age of 50 at Later Impressions Exhibit

Kunjal Bastola/The Daily Northwestern

The Evanston Art Center. The EAC is featuring the Later Impressions exhibit through Nov. 5.

Kunjal Bastola, Reporter

Curated in partnership with the Chicago Alliance of Visual Artists, Evanston Art Center’s newly opened exhibit, Later Impressions, highlights the work of artists over the age of 50.

The Later Impressions exhibit is one of CAVA’s signature annual exhibits and will run from Oct. 8 to Nov. 5. Catering specifically to artists 50 years or older, CAVA currently has more than 250 members, primarily from the Chicago area.

“We provide opportunities for artists to exhibit their work, some learning and educational opportunities, and an opportunity to meet other artists,” said Susan Bennett, CAVA’s treasurer and an exhibit co-manager.

During exhibit curation, a panel of judges reviewed each piece in the exhibit and selected works to receive different awards. The seven awards available are a Best in Show, three Awards of Excellence and three Honorable Mentions.

This year’s Best in Show was Norman Baugher’s oil-on-canvas painting “California Table,” displaying fruit on a table along with the egg that Baugher said is a signature of his work.

“The subject is a still life, and it has very abstract concepts working behind it,” Baugher said. “One of the objectives was to develop a sense of balance, even if the image is asymmetrical.”

While Baugher focuses on still life, there is no designated theme the artwork in the exhibit must follow. Artists are encouraged to submit a wide variety of mediums, allowing them to display paintings, sculptures, installation pieces, photographs and more.

Audrey Avril, the manager of exhibitions at the Evanston Art Center, said the exhibition highlights the diverse mediums and talents of the participating artists. 

“There’s a lot of paintings in this collection, but they’re all very different subjects,” Avril said. “Some of them are pop culture-style paintings, some of them are more abstract, and you get a wide range even within a single media.”

Pieces on display at the Later Impressions exhibit are also available for sale, with a portion of the proceeds donated back to the Evanston Art Center.

Colette Wright Adams, a co-manager of the exhibit, said CAVA has often sold artwork at the Evanston Art Center in the past because the organization is a “thriving art community” that reaches many different people.

Adams said artists can find a home for their artwork at the Later Impressions exhibit, no matter their artistic style or preferred medium. 

“There’s something for everyone in this show,” Adams said.

CAVA members can also meet and work with other artists at various events the organization hosts, including the Later Impressions Exhibit. 

Baugher said he appreciates meeting other artists through CAVA.

“Part of the reason for CAVA is a camaraderie, an opportunity for artists to come together in the shows themselves,” he said. 

Twitter: @kunjal_bastola