Northwestern receives award for work on diversity and inclusion

Daily file photo by Angeli Mittal

The Arch. The University received the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award for the second consecutive year.

Davis Giangiulio, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern received the 2022 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award, given to schools that demonstrate strong commitments to diversity and inclusion, the University announced Thursday.

INSIGHT Into Diversity, a magazine focused on higher education and diversity, determines recipients for the annual award. This is the second consecutive year NU has received the distinction.

“This is a major recognition for Northwestern,” University President Michael Schill said in a Thursday news release. “This award is a reflection of the dedicated work of so many who have been striving to advance diversity, equity and inclusion across our campuses.”

Award recipients are determined by data-driven questions related to recruitment and retention of historically underrepresented students and faculty, diversity and inclusion commitments by leadership and campus support resources.

NU received the award along with 102 other higher education institutions this year.

“The HEED Award represents a crucial way in which Northwestern puts in the work of reaffirming and renewing its ongoing commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion,” said Vice President and Associate Provost for Diversity and Inclusion Robin Means Coleman in the release. “We continue to take this responsibility seriously and commit to working in influential and strategic ways in the years to come.”