Fencing: Cats continue to claw through the competition

Daily file photo by Seeger Gray

After a successful season in 2021-22, the Cats may be set to dominate again this year.

Angeli Mittal, Design Editor

The Wildcats saw another successful season in 2021-22, maintaining their NCAA reputation and achieving a roughly 70% win rate.

Coach Zach Moss — named the Central Collegiate Fencing Conference Women’s Team Coach of the Year for a second-consecutive season — led the Cats to a 31-13 record, including wins against Boston College and and Brandeis and three victories against Cleveland State.

And for the first time this decade, the fencing team secured a win against longtime rival and top-ranked Notre Dame.

Northwestern scored another top-10 team finish in the NCAA Championships — after earning its best finish in the 2020-21 season at third — and brought home three top-20 individual finishes.

Junior saber and NCAA All-American Sky Miller acquired her second-consecutive top-10 individual finish. She is also the highest-ranked fencer in NU history.

Then-graduate student Sarah Filby and sophomore Hanna Lipthay represented NU in foil and epee, respectively.

For the 2022-23 season, the fencing team is getting eight new Cats to add to its top fencers, including epee Karen Wang, who medaled at the 2020 Junior Olympics.

NU showed its claws against top-ranked teams across the country while sustaining its spot at the NCAA Championships. It wouldn’t be a surprise if the Cats continue to dominate in fencing.

Twitter: @amittal27