A library ‘vibe’ check: touring Northwestern’s libraries

While Northwestern’s three libraries all feature their own atmospheres, students can find their study home-base by getting to know the spaces.

Erica Schmitt, Reporter

Sometimes studying in a residence hall won’t cut it. The bed looks too comfortable, the walls have too many posters and attempting to read a 40-page article can become impossible. The three main undergraduate libraries have different environments that may help you focus. Here is all you need to know about each one so you can pick the vibe that is best for you.

Main Library

If you are looking for a typical “library” feel, Main Library is the place for you. Main is the primary library on campus. While it is located closer to the southern end of campus, it is an easy walk for all students. Main also hosts Brewbike in Cafe Bergson, which offers fresh coffee, quickly sold-out cinnamon rolls and a spot to study over the whir of espresso machines.

Main is a labyrinth of spaces for all types of students. Core Collection, on the second floor of the library, is best for people who want the buzz of other students talking and working around them. But if you are a quieter person, one of the most frequently used spaces in Main is the Periodicals and Newspaper Reading Room. Potted plants line the spacious room there, and most seating is around the edges of the book stacks. Whenever you need a private room, there are options for that, too — you can go online to reserve some spaces. If in doubt, Main is the route!

Deering Library

Deering Library, which hosts the famous Art Library, is where you can live out your Hogwarts fantasy. The main reading room on the third floor hosts the large art book collection with wooden tables and comfortable chairs where you can complete your studies. This place is a favorite for students who want complete and utter silence while they work and where most students can tune out the world. Beyond the main reading room, there are other smaller spots throughout the library that are equally as quiet. 

In Deering, students can enjoy an academia aesthetic in the comfort of campus. The historical build and dim lighting paint the perfect vibe for a cozy night there when the winter grows colder. Deering is located on South Campus and also connects to Main Library through an underground tunnel. You don’t have to be an artist to enjoy Deering’s aura; feel free to enjoy the quietness of one of the oldest libraries on campus.

Mudd Science and Engineering Library

Mudd Library is a North Campus go-to place to study. Connected to Northwestern’s Technological Institute, where a lot of STEM classes are located, Mudd is for students who want a modern feel for their studying experience. The glass building hosts a realm of study spaces for both collaborative learning and for students who want their own space to focus. Mudd also has an array of Mac desktops for students to use. 

With its clean feel and bright lighting, Mudd is perfect for people who want to feel productive. The lighting will also keep you awake at night when you may have an assignment due the next day. Two of Mudd’s rooms — the North Study Lounge and the Mudd Large Active Classroom — are available for 24/7 use. Keep in mind that Mudd’s atmosphere is not ideal if you would prefer a relaxed setting to complete your homework. If you want a futuristic feel, Mudd is the place for you.

There are several spaces available for reservations throughout the University’s libraries. Before you make up your mind about your favorite spot from our vibe check, you should check out the places yourself to see what location you like the most. Good luck with your studies, see you in the stacks.

Twitter: @eschmitt318