NU positivity rate sees slight increase, new reported positives remains steady

Angeli Mittal/Daily Senior Staffer

Northwestern’s new positive case count remains steady as the quarter nears the end. Students living on campus are eligible for booster shots given they meet the elapsed time requirement.

Angeli Mittal, Design Editor

While Northwestern’s COVID-19 new positive case count remains steady, the positivity rate saw a slight increase with fewer tests taken.

With the conclusion of the mandated staggered testing for undergraduate students, the University saw fewer COVID-19 tests taken, at about 4,500. One fewer positive case was reported this week than last week — 27 compared to 28. The positivity rate rose from 0.43% to 0.60%. 

More of the confirmed cases this week come from staff, at seven versus four last week. Of those remaining, non-undergraduate students continue to constitute half of the confirmed cases, at 15, while faculty account for three and undergraduate students five.

The expanded authorization of booster shots to those whose primary vaccination series was Pfizer or Moderna. But NU students who live on campus, and whose last dose was at least six months ago, are eligible for a booster shot. This follows the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention criteria for individuals aged 18 or older who live in high-risk settings.

Eligibility criteria differs for those who received the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Individuals in this group can get a booster shot, whether that’s Johnson & Johnson or another vaccine type under the CDC’s “mix-and-match” authorization, if they’re ages 18 or older and received their last dose at least two months ago.

Twitter: @amittal27