NUDM selects youth and family nonprofit Chicago Youth Programs as 2022 primary beneficiary

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

Students dance under a white tent during Dance Marathon 2019. The 48th annual NUDM is set to be held March 4 to 6 2022 on the Norris University Center East Lawn.

Jacquelyne Germain, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern University Dance Marathon announced that nonprofit Chicago Youth Programs will be its primary beneficiary for 2022 in a Wednesday news release.

CYP seeks to improve the livelihoods of low-income youth who primarily reside in Chicago’s South and West Sides by providing continual academic, emotional and mental resources.

The nonprofit, founded in 1984 by Feinberg School of Medicine students, is a trauma-informed organization that supports youth in areas that lack mental health resources. CYP promotes cognitive, behavioral and social development in environments undermined by multiple socioeconomic barriers.

“In a year with not one but two pandemics, CYP stood tall by adapting their services amid COVID-19 and the fight against systemic anti-Black racism, ” Dan Birmingham, NUDM 2022 executive co-chair and McCormick junior, said. “We are so fortunate to be partnering with an organization with as much enthusiasm, devotion, and drive as CYP has in their fight to break the cycle of poverty for their youth.”

NUDM will also support the Evanston Community Foundation as its secondary beneficiary for the 25th consecutive year, funding a variety of Evanston-based grants for various individuals, groups and families.

Last year, NUDM hosted its first virtual event due to COVID-19 and raised over $1 million in support of its beneficiaries. This year’s Dance Marathon, which featured both virtual and in-person programming, raised over $674,000 for Chicago-based nonprofit Compass to Care in a three-day event.

The 48th annual NUDM is set to be held March 4 to 6 2022 on the Norris University Center East Lawn.

CYP Executive Director Cinaiya Stubbs said the nonprofit’s selection as NUDM’s primary beneficiary allows it to further develop and expand its service initiatives.

“NUDM 2022 gives us the opportunity to scale smartly while advancing strategy,” Stubbs said in the release. “For me, personally, it means triumph and the manifestation of continued effort and strong faith.

Twitter: @jacquygermain