Ald. Cicely Fleming runs unopposed, wins 9th Ward re-election

Illustration by Meher Yeda

On Tuesday, Ald. Cicely Fleming (9th) won re-election to her seat on City Council after running unopposed.

Jacob Fulton, Print Managing Editor

Ald. Cicely Fleming (9th) was re-elected Tuesday night to serve another term on City Council after running unopposed. 

Fleming, who was first elected to the seat in 2017, will serve the 9th Ward from 2021 to 2025. She was the only candidate without an opponent this year in an election cycle where a slate of progressive candidates challenged most incumbents on the council. These newcomers saw some early success, ousting Alds. Don Wilson (4th) and Ann Rainey (8th) in the February primary. 

2021 saw the highest number of aldermanic candidates since 1993, the year Evanston switched from two representatives per ward to one. 

Fleming, who is also a founding member of the Organization for Positive Action and Leadership, recently opposed the city’s implementation of the Restorative Housing Reparations Program on the grounds that the program should not be called reparations. 

Fleming has previously served as a PTA president, as well as a member of the city’s Mental Health Board. In her first term on City Council, she worked on initiatives related to equitable development, fiscal responsibility and the re-evaluation of policing in Evanston. 

Twitter: @jacobnfulton