City Clerk Devon Reid preparing for run-off in Eighth

Daily file photo by Maia Spoto

Ald. Ann Rainey (8th). Rainey is projected to lose her seat after 38 years in Evanston politics.

Joshua Irvine, Reporter

Though results from Tuesday’s primary are not yet final, City Clerk Devon Reid said Wednesday his campaign for the 8th Ward aldermanic seat is already preparing for the April 6 run-off.

“We know we’re moving on to the next round and are gearing up for whoever our opponent will be in that race,” Reid said.  

As of Wednesday night, Reid leads by nearly a hundred votes in the three-way match up against Ridgeville Park District commissioner Matthew Mitchell and incumbent Ald. Ann Rainey (8th). Mail ballots postmarked as late as midnight Tuesday can still be counted up to two weeks later.

Reid won the most ballots cast on election day in four of the ward’s five precincts. Mitchell won the remaining precinct.

Reid has promoted his candidacy on a platform of representative politics and experience in local government.  He is the youngest city clerk in Evanston’s history.  

Reid told The Daily on Tuesday night his presumptive success is a sign his campaign has successfully tapped into the 8th Ward’s challenges.  

“We had a message that connected with voters,” Reid said. “Folks are looking for experienced, progressive and bold leadership and that’s what this campaign provided.”

Mitchell said he is waiting for all mail-in ballots to come in but he is “cautiously optimistic” he will be moving to the run-off. Mitchell currently leads Rainey by 28 votes.

Mitchell also congratulated the ward’s write-in candidates, singling out Shelley Ann Carrillo in particular. In a contentious election year, the 8th Ward race became one of Evanston’s most crowded, with up to six candidates vying for the position at one point. 

At press time, Reid led with 404 votes, while Mitchell had 315 votes. Rainey trailed with 287.

Rainey is the city’s longest-serving alderman.  If ousted, the alderman will mark the end of a 38-year career in local politics.  Rainey ran uncontested for more than a decade before a narrow win over challenger Rob Bady in 2017.

Rainey was unavailable for comment.  

This is a developing story and will be updated when more information becomes available.

Twitter: @joshuajirvine