Former Northwestern student charged with sexual assault in Minnesota

Jacob Fulton, City Editor

A former Northwestern student who was charged with sexual assault and battery in 2018 has incurred charges of criminal sexual conduct  in his home state of Minnesota.

Nicholas Nelson, a former McCormick student, attended a party on the night of Feb. 3 into Feb. 4, 2018. A female Northwestern student, who had been friends with Nelson, told Evanston Police Department Nelson assaulted her at the party.

In 2018, the woman told Evanston police Nelson assaulted and choked her, and police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said her injuries corresponded with her account.

The woman filed a Title IX report with the University, which resulted in Nelson’s expulsion. Initially, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office didn’t find probable cause for assault, but further investigation resulted in criminal charges. Nelson pleaded not guilty in 2018 and was allowed out of jail on bail.

According to the woman’s lawyer, Barry Spector, the announcement of Nelson’s trial date was delayed, and he was allowed to return to his home state of Minnesota while on bail. However, on May 11, Nelson was charged with criminal sexual conduct and now has a warrant out for his arrest.

The court told Nelson he must turn himself in to the state of Minnesota and revoked his bail in the state of Illinois.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated the amount of charges filed against Nelson as well as when the woman contacted Evanston police. The previous version also mistook which government body revoked Nelson’s bail and told him to turn himself in. Nelson was charged with sexual assault and battery in 2018 and has incurred charges of criminal sexual conduct. The woman contacted Evanston police shortly after the alleged assault had taken place. Additionally, the court Nelson his bail was revoked and instructed him to turn himself in to the state of Minnesota. The Daily regrets the errors.

Clarification: This story has been updated to more accurately reflect the status of Nelson’s trial. 

Twitter: @jacobnfulton