YWCA Evanston/North Shore to host racial healing circles

Emma Edmund, City Editor

YWCA Evanston/North Shore will host racial healing circles, starting on the National Day of Racial healing, Jan. 21, until Jan. 24.

According to its website, the social justice organization aims to eliminate racism and empower women and holds various initiatives to promote gender and racial justice, including the Stand Against Racism campaign, as well as an annual Equity Summit.

The W.K. Kellogg Foundation launched the National Day of Racial Healing in 2017 as part of the organization’s drive for racial equity. The initiative includes events across the country centered on truth telling and trust building, according to the foundation’s website.

Karen Singer, the president and CEO of YWCA Evanston/North Shore, said the organization is “honored” to bring racial healing circles to the city.

“Healing circles reaffirm the humanity in all of us and lift up what unites us instead of what divides us,” Singer said in a news release. “They help us discover, respect and honor the unique experiences and histories of each participant.”

Adults who live, work or worship in Evanston are welcome to participate in the circles.The racial healing circles are a first for YWCA, and they will consist of 30 or fewer people who meet for a 2.5-hour session. Trained facilitators will lead the sessions at various locations around the city.

Participation in the circles is free, but attendees must register by Jan. 16. Those who are interested can visit the organization’s website to learn more about registration and see the specific dates, times and locations of the circles.

Twitter: @emmaeedmund