Blotter: Woman charged in shooting, two teenage women robbed

Molly Burke, Reporter

A 41-year-old Evanston woman was charged in a New Year’s shooting, according to an Evanston police department news release.

Officers responded to a report of a shooting on Jan. 1 around 5:50 p.m. in the 1000 block of Darrow Avenue. Upon arrival, the officers found a 53-year-old man with a gunshot wound to the torso. The injury was deemed not life-threatening and the man is now in good condition.

The officers also located the suspect on the scene. The woman was taken into custody and admitted to the shooting, according to the news release. EPD used interviews with the victim and witnesses, as well as surveillance video, to confirm the suspect’s admission.

The following day, the suspect was charged with a felony count of aggravated battery with a firearm.

The suspect had been living in the same multi-unit building as the victim. They engaged in ongoing disputes regarding the maintenance and use of common areas of the building. Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said that the dispute was determined to be the cause of the shooting.

The suspect has been released on bail for $25,000. The following court date is set to be Jan. 23.

Two teenage women robbed on Ashland Avenue

Two teenage women were robbed on the sidewalk while walking in the 1800 block of Ashland Avenue.

A young man Glew estimates to be between 18 and 29 years old approached the women on Jan. 5 around 7:30 p.m. He was on a green bicycle, and he placed his hand into his pocket to imply he had a gun, pointed it at them through his pocket and demanded money, according to Glew.

One of the victims gave the suspect $50 in cash from her wallet, Glew said. The suspect took the money and threw the wallet on the ground before fleeing southbound.

The incident was reported soon after and the police arrived on the scene. The suspect has not been found.

Twitter: @mollyfburke