19-year-old arrested and charged with armed robbery

Natalie Chun, Reporter

A 19-year-old man was arrested Tuesday in connection with an armed robbery and an attempted robbery. He was charged with armed robbery.

The armed robbery took place around 4 a.m. that day in the 700 block of Howard Street, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew. The 19-year-old allegedly approached a 52-year-old man and asked him for $20. The older man said that he did not have any money but was approached by the 19-year-old a second time.

The 19-year-old then displayed a knife and said, “Give me all you got.” The older man then handed over a pair of gloves, six CDs, a pair of black headphones and an Android cellphone. The younger man then fled south on foot, Glew said.

After the incident, the 52-year-old man spoke to Evanston police officers and provided them with a description of the younger man. Around 4:32 a.m., an assisting officer used the description to locate the man who police say was attempting to commit another robbery in the 2000 block of Howard Street in Chicago. The officer was able to stop the robbery and detain the man.

The man was then identified by the 52-year-old and all items were recovered, including the knife. He was then arrested, transported to the Evanston Police Department, and charged with armed robbery.

The investigation into the second robbery was turned over to the Chicago Police Department.

Twitter: @NatalieChun4