Women’s Basketball: Pulliam receives preseason awards

Daily file photo by Owen Stidman

Lindsey Pulliam drives to the rack. The junior guard was unanimously chosen by coaches to the Preseason All-Big Ten team.

Andrew Golden, Sports Editor

After a sophomore campaign that saw her earn first team All-Big Ten Honors, junior guard Lindsey Pulliam was named to the Preseason All-Big Ten team. Pulliam was chosen by both the media and coaches, and was one of four players who was unanimously voting onto their team by Big Ten coaches.

Last season, Pulliam was a force on offense for Northwestern, leading the team in points, minutes and free throws made. She averaged 16.5 points per game, which ranked fifth in the Big Ten. Among Pulliam’s many accomplishments last season, she set a Wildcats record by becoming the fastest player in Wildcats history to reach 1,000 points.

She was particularly dominant during the NU’s WNIT run last season. In the Cats six postseason games, she averaged 18.3 points per game as NU made it all the way to the WNIT Championship game.

The Cats’ leader in points the last two seasons will look to build off of her sophomore campaign when she finished with more points, assists, rebounds, steals and blocks than her freshman season.However, her field goal percentage and three-point percentage dropped compared to her first year.

Once her 2018-2019 season was over, she played this summer for the United States at the Pan American Games in Lima, Peru. The junior guard from Silver Spring, Maryland, was one of three Big Ten players on the roster, playing alongside Iowa’s Kathleen Doyle and Maryland’s Taylor Mikesell.

Pulliam and the Cats will open their season with an exhibition at home against Lewis on November 6th.

Twitter: @andrewcgolden