Northwestern’s Homecoming Week has a lot in store for students and alumni

Daily file photo by Evan Robinson-Johnson

Homecoming week is filled with festivities planned by the University to prepare for the annual Homecoming game this year against Iowa.

Vivian Xia, Reporter

As midterm season rolls around, Homecoming offers a much-needed break. The week is filled with festivities planned by the University to prepare for the annual Homecoming game this year against Iowa. Homecoming Week this year runs from October 20-26, packed with fun activities, free food, and giveaways. Be sure to check out these events open to current students and alums to show your purple pride by taking part in some of Northwestern’s homecoming traditions:

Tuesday, Oct. 22
10:30 a.m.: The Cajun Connoisseur, La Cocinita, and Beavers Donuts will be at the Food Truck Festival held at Arts Circle. Student performers from the Bienen School of Music will provide entertainment, along with some giveaway events.

6 p.m.: Students will have the opportunity to meet the Homecoming Court members at the Homecoming social, which will be held at The John Evans Center with catering from Pita Inn.

Wednesday, Oct. 23
4 p.m.: Purplepalooza, a Homecoming Week tradition, will be held on the Foster-Walker Lawn this year. There will be a petting zoo, inflatables, giveaways, and, of course, free food.

Thursday, Oct. 24
10 a.m.: There will be free giveaways throughout the day at Homecoming at the Rock. There will also be refreshments for students to take as they walk by.

5:15 p.m.: The tailgate before the women’s soccer game against the University of Minnesota will be at the Martin Stadium.

Friday, Oct. 25
1:45 p.m.: The President’s Alumni Panel: My Northwestern Direction will take place in McCormick Auditorium and feature a speech from President Morton Schapiro. The 2019 Northwestern Alumni Medalists will speak about how NU impacted their lives and careers. This year’s medalists include US Navy vice admiral Lisa M. Franchetti (Medill ‘85), global business leader and education foundation executive director Bridgette Proctor Heller (Weinberg ‘83, Kellogg ‘85), and Fortune 100 investment management CEO Yie-Hsin Hung (McCormick ‘84).

5:30 p.m.: Wildcat Warm-Up and Pep Rally will be held on the Deering Meadow with performances from the X-Factors, Boomshaka, Deeva, the Treblemakers, and Ballet Folklórico Mexicano. The two Homecoming Wildcats will be crowned at the pep rally, and the NU Marching Band, football coach Pat Fitzgerald, Schapiro, Willie the Wildcat, and the Spirit Squad will be there. There will also be hot chocolate, hot cider,and other snacks there to keep students warm at the event. In addition, a special Homecoming game giveaway event will be happening here.