Women’s Golf: Northwestern ends fall tournament play with up-and-down weekend

Daily file photo by Alison Albelda

Brooke Riley surveys the green. The senior finished third for the Wildcats at the Stanford Intercollegiate with 11 birdies.

Peter Warren

Women’s Golf

In their final tournament of the fall, the Wildcats struggled to stay consistent at the Stanford Intercollegiate, finishing tied for 11th place while the team’s youngest talent shined.

Northwestern ended the weekend 30-over-par, brought down by disappointing showings on the tournament’s second day that ended with the Cats tying for the round’s second-worst stroke total.

While the team struggled, freshman Irene Kim remained steady.

The California native shot even-par on each of the tournament’s last two days to reach her best collegiate finish: tied for 21st place at 2-over. She ended the weekend tied for fourth in birdies — knocking in 13 of the team’s 45.

Sophomore Kelly Sim finished five places behind her after shooting 8-over on Saturday and turning around to catapult 28 spots up the leaderboard on the final round.

Still, across the tournament’s three days, NU couldn’t find the same momentum. The Cats ran into trouble on Par 5 holes in particular where the team shot just 3-under — compared to 29-under for Arizona State, who won the tournament.

Senior Brooke Riley rounded out NU’s top scorers on the weekend, finishing tied for 32nd with 11 birdies.

The tournament was the last of the fall for Northwestern, as the team won’t compete for around four months until they travel to Puerto Rico in February.

Twitter: @troy_closson