Medill junior Troy Closson named The Daily’s next editor in chief

Jonah Dylan and Peter Warren

Troy Closson was named the next editor in chief of The Daily Northwestern, the paper’s publisher announced Tuesday night.

The Medill junior is currently the In Focus editor for The Daily. He had previously served as opinion editor for two quarters and managing editor for two quarters. Closson spent Winter Quarter on his journalism residency working for the Chicago Sun-Times as a metro desk intern.

Closson said he is interested in making the newsroom a more inclusive place, especially for staffers who hold marginalized identities, and communicating to people outside the staff the strides in community building and wellness The Daily has made over the few past years.

“I want to change how people view The Daily on campus and shift our perception as a place where people come to all night just to work,” Closson said. “I want to show that people here can be friends too and can actually enjoy being here.”

The Maryland native will serve in the role for the forthcoming fall and winter quarters.

Closson will succeed SESP junior Alan Perez, who has held the position for Winter and Spring Quarters. Perez said Closson is someone others in the newsroom look up to and that he has “impressive” people management skills.

“Troy is really dedicated to improving this paper and increasing our engagement with the community,” Perez added. “I think he is the best person for the job. His commitment to diversity and inclusion has really shown while he has been here. I’m really hopeful and excited about what he will do to diversify our staff and make sure we are considering the widest range of perspectives in our coverage.”

Twitter: @thejonahdylan

Twitter: @thepeterwarren