Men’s Basketball: Northwestern adds William and Mary transfer Chase Audige

Daily file photo by Allie Goulding

Chris Collins motivates his team from the sidelines. The Wildcats added transfer Chase Audige to their roster last week.

Ella Brockway, Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball

Two months after losing three players to the transfer market in a stretch of seven days, Northwestern has finally landed one of its own.

Audige played in 31 games for the Tribe last season, averaging 9.6 points and 4.1 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-4 guard also shot 37 percent from 3-point range during the 2018-19 season, a welcome addition to an NU squad where no player shot above 33.5 percent from deep last year.

We are very excited with the addition of Chase Audige to the Northwestern basketball family,” said coach Chris Collins in a news release. “Chase is a terrific athlete with a high skill level that will bring toughness and competitiveness into our program. He is a high-character individual with a commitment to bettering himself, and those around him, on and off the court.”

He also earned a spot on the Colonial Athletic Association All-Rookie Team and recognition as the VaSID State Rookie of the Year, given annually to the best freshman in the commonwealth of Virginia.

While in high school at The Hill School, Audige was ranked the No. 8 recruit in Pennsylvania and led the Rams to their second-ever state championship, averaging 14 points and shooting 40 percent from behind the arc. He was ranked at No. 379 nationally in the Class of 2018 by 247Sports, in the same range as Cats center Ryan Young, who was ranked No. 348 out of high school and redshirted his first year in Evanston.

William and Mary finished last season with a 14-17 record and a fourth-place finish in the CAA. Coach Tony Shaver was fired at the conclusion of the 2018-19 campaign after 16 years at the helm, and five Tribe players entered the transfer portal after Shaver’s dismissal.

Twitter: @ellabrockway