Medill alum David Barstow wins record fourth Pulitzer Prize for reporting on Trump’s finances

Source: Northwestern Now

David Barstow. The Medill alum has won four Pulitzer Prizes.

Gabby Birenbaum, Campus Editor

David Barstow (Medill ’86) became the first journalist to win a record four Pulitzer Prizes for reporting when he was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting on April 15.

Barstow, a senior writer at the New York Times, shared the prize with his colleagues Susanne Craig and Russ Buettner for their investigation into President Donald Trump’s personal finances and “dubious” tax schemes over the years.

Medill Prof. emeritus Roger Boye, who taught Barstow, said he recognized the future journalist’s potential way back when.

“As a student, David had a strong interest in public affairs and current events,” Boye said in a Northwestern news release. “In class, he asked many thoughtful questions of the teacher and guest speakers. He was inquisitive without being overbearing. And even then, as a college sophomore, he seemed quite serious about pursuing journalism as his lifelong profession.”

Barstow previously won Pulitzers in 2004, 2009 and 2013. His reporting on Walmart’s use of bribery to overtake the market in Mexico in 2013 and his series on the Pentagon influencing media coverage of Iraq and Afghanistan in 2009 earned him Pulitzer Prizes for Investigative Reporting. His 2004 articles on workplace safety violations yielded the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service.

Medill Interim Dean Charles Whitaker praised Barstow for his recent award, commending both the reporting and Barstow’s connection to Medill.

“This incisive examination of the dubious sources of the President’s wealth is a stellar example of David’s tremendous talent and ability to thoroughly analyze complex issues and explain the information in ways readers can understand,” Whitaker said in the release. “We are very proud of David and honored that he continues his relationship with Medill.”

Twitter: @birenbomb