Man arrested for injuring two officers, damaging police car

Ashley Capoot, Reporter

An Evanston man was charged with aggravated battery to a police officer after he crashed into a police car and injured two officers.

Detectives from the Evanston police tactical unit stopped a white Chevy Malibu on Friday when they noticed it had an illegal window tint. According to a department news release, the detectives spoke with the driver, a 24-year-old Evanston resident, and confirmed that the windows did not follow state law.

The officers also noticed a strong smell of cannabis and instructed the man to exit the vehicle. He did not comply and instead put the car in reverse, hitting the police car behind him. Two officers suffered minor injuries from the incident.

The man fled the scene in his vehicle and was pursued by officers from the Evanston and Chicago Police Department. Once the pursuit ended, the man was arrested near the 12000 block of South Parnell Avenue.

The man was charged with two felony counts of aggravated battery to a police officer, one felony count of aggravated fleeing and eluding, one misdemeanor count of fleeing and eluding, one misdemeanor count of reckless driving and multiple Illinois Vehicle Code violations.

Apple products stolen from Target

A 34-year-old male Target employee reported Monday that nearly $3,000 worth of Apple products had been stolen from the store in the 2200 block of Howard Street.

The employee said an unidentified man used a cutting tool to remove two iPhone Xs and an iPhone XS Max from the store’s display tables.

The man fled the store in an unknown direction and has been linked to other similar department store burglaries, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

Twitter: @ashleycapoot