Northwestern prepares for the Homecoming game with week-long festivities

Brian Meng / Daily Senior Staffer

A Homecoming event earlier this week. The University has plenty of events planned this week before the football game Saturday.

Amy Li, Assistant Campus Editor

Northwestern’s Homecoming won’t include a parade this year (sad!), but there are still plenty of events this week to get in the spirit.

If you missed Monday’s Purplepalooza or Tuesday’s food truck festival, you missed out. But apart from events hosted by schools and groups on campus, the University still has a lot more planned:

Events for students

Thursday, all day: Free giveaways at the rock

Friday, 1:45 p.m.: President Morton Schapiro and this year’s Northwestern Alumni Medal recipients will be speaking at the President’s Alumni Panel in the McCormick Auditorium. Panel speakers will include Fortune 500 CEO Louis Simpson (Weinberg ’58), Smithsonian museum director Johnnetta Cole (Weinberg ’59, Winberg ’67), New York Times bestselling author Douglas Conant (Weinberg ’73, Kellogg’76), and Warner Bros. Pictures executive Courtney Armstrong (McCormick ’93, School of Law ’96).

Friday, 5:30 p.m.: Wildcat Warm-Up on the Deering Meadow to replace the Homecoming Parade. The warm-up will feature Boomshaka, Soul4Real A Capella, THUNK A Capella, Northwestern Bhangra and Fusion Dance Company performances to get students pumped for the annual pep rally. The Wildcat Marching Band will be playing at the pep rally and free food will be provided.

Events for alumni

Friday, noon: Alumni are invited to join professors and the current and emeritus faculty at an informal buffet lunch.

Friday, 1:30 p.m.: Kids ages 5-12 can play games and interact with student-athletes.

Friday, 3:30 p.m.: Undergraduate schools and campus organizations will be hosting a number of art and academic events. Bienen’s Symphonic Wind Ensemble is hosting an open rehearsal in Pick Staiger Hall, and McCormick is inviting alumni and their families to create and decorate their personalized gear to show off their purple pride.

Friday, 8 p.m. and later: Alumni can choose between stargazing at the Dearborn Observatory, toasting marshmallows at a S’mores bonfire on the lakefill or an all-class after-party on the Deering meadow.