Chicago police release photos of shooting suspects in killing of Shane Colombo

Shane+Colombo.

Source: Vincent Perez

Shane Colombo.

Alan Perez, Campus Editor

After an incoming Northwestern doctoral student was fatally caught in crossfire Sunday night, the Chicago Police Department released photos of suspects they believe took part in the gunfight, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The surveillance photos from a Bank of America branch about a half block away from the Rogers Park shooting show three people running through a parking lot. Chicago Ald. Joe Moore, who represents Rogers Park, said in a letter on his website that two men were seen chasing a third man on Howard Street, which is Chicago’s border with Evanston. As the men turned south on Clark Street, one of the men fired a handgun at another.

Shane Colombo was in the area just before 8:30 p.m. Sunday when he was caught between the gunfight. He was taken to Saint Francis Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Source: Chicago Ald. Joe Moore
A surveillance photo of one of the suspects in Shane Colombo’s death.

Source: Chicago Ald. Joe Moore
A suspect in Shane Colombo’s death.

Chicago police are asking anyone with information to contact Area North detectives investigating the incident as a homicide. Colombo’s family also announced a $2,000 reward for anyone who can identity the men, according to ABC 7 Chicago.

In a GoFundMe page set up to help pay for the cost of bringing Colombo back to California and for his memorial service, the 25-year-old is described as a passionate, kind, patient and loving person who was “always the light of the room.”

Colombo, who survived cancer as a teenager, was also described as nonviolent person who was an advocate for mental health. He had just moved to the city, and was preparing for his first year as a doctoral student in Northwestern’s psychology program, according to the GoFundMe.

In a Monday email to the NU community, University President Morton Schapiro and Provost Jonathan Holloway expressed their “grief and heartbreak.”

“There is no justification for such violence,” they wrote. “As a University community we remain more resolved than ever to identify the causes of violence in our larger community–and to work toward solutions that will create a better life for all those within it.”

Twitter: @_perezalan_