Northwestern, Evanston announce shared emergency operations center

The+University+Police+headquarters%2C+1201+Davis+St.+Northwestern+and+Evanston+have+agreed+to+share+the+Emergency+Operations+center+located+in+the+the+UP+building.+

(Daily file photo by Patrick Svitek)

The University Police headquarters, 1201 Davis St. Northwestern and Evanston have agreed to share the Emergency Operations center located in the the UP building.

Ally Mauch, Summer Managing Editor

Evanston and Northwestern have agreed to share NU’s Emergency Operations Center, according to a Thursday news release.

The Emergency Operations Center, located in the University Police headquarters at 1201 Davis St., will serve as a “safe and secure location” during emergencies where the NU and Evanston crisis management teams can collaborate, the release said.

“The Emergency Operations Center is a state-of-the-art facility with IT infrastructure that has been adapted to meet the city’s needs,” UP Chief Bruce Lewis said in the release. “We have learned from experience how vitally important it is to collaborate on emergency response.”

The city and the University signed a one-year agreement for the shared use of the center beginning Sept. 1, with the option for annual renewal.

The agreement to share the Emergency Operations Center will facilitate cooperation between Evanston and NU, as both are focusing on emergency preparedness and response training, the release said.

“This agreement is another example of the wonderful partnership of the City of Evanston and Northwestern University crisis management teams,” Evanston Police Chief Richard Eddington said in the release. “I look forward to our continued progress on projects that make our community safer.”

Twitter: @allymauch