Blotter: Evanston man arrested in connection with possession of controlled substance

Nikki Baim, Reporter

A 19-year-old Evanston man was arrested Wednesday in connection with possession of a controlled substance in south Evanston.

Police responded to an attempted apartment robbery in the 100 block of Elmwood Avenue at 3:22 a.m., Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The man was leaving the building carrying a backpack when officers arrived.

Officers thought he might have been involved in the potential robbery and stopped him for questioning, Glew said. The man followed orders to take off his backpack but then turned away from police and began unzipping the bag.

The officers, who feared the man had a weapon inside, told him to stop. Glew said he did not, so officers grabbed his arm. The man resisted, and was only compliant for a few seconds when officers threatened to use a taser.

Police eventually used Mace to subdue and handcuff the man, Glew said. Officers found 61 pills of Quazepam, 61 individually wrapped tinfoil packages containing amphetamines and 11 grams of suspected cannabis in the man’s backpack.

The man was charged with possessions of a controlled substance, cannabis and drug paraphernalia, and possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver. He was also charged with one count of attempt to resist a police officer.

DeKalb man charged with criminal damage to property

A 27-year-old DeKalb man was arrested Tuesday in connection with criminal damage to property.

The man’s ex-girlfriend, a 26-year-old Evanston woman, reported the incident to police on Sunday around 12:30 p.m., Glew said. She said he came to her residence for a “closure breakup conversation.”

During the conversation, she said the man grabbed her iPhone 7 and threw it against the window blinds, Glew said. He then ransacked her bedroom while looking for his key and punched a mirror.

Glew said the woman was not injured during the incident, and the man did not have a weapon.

The man was charged with a misdemeanor of criminal damage to property.

Twitter: @nikkibaim