Joey Bada$$ to perform as Dillo Day daytime headliner

Jonah Dylan, Campus Editor

Rapper Joey Bada$$ will be the daytime headliner for Dillo Day, Mayfest announced Friday.

The Brooklyn native, whose real name is Jo-Vaughn Virginie Scott, is known for songs like “Devastated” and “Rockabye Baby.”

Mayfest co-chair Andrew Hunter said he is excited about the energy Joey Bada$$ brings during his performances.

“We’ve talked about the other artists truly being excellent performers and great individuals who bring a lot of energy to the Lakefill and we feel that, honestly, Joey Bada$$ is probably going to be number one in that department,” the Weinberg senior said. “He’s just an absolutely excellent performer and he’s basically renowned for having great stage presence.”

Joey Bada$$ released his first mixtape, “1999,” in 2012. His first studio album, “B4.DA.$$,” was released in 2015, and his second album, “ALL-AMERIKKKAN BADA$$,” was released in 2017. The rapper has also appeared on the TV series “Mr. Robot,” and his song “Devastated” has more than 144 million plays on Spotify.

“Those are Kanye numbers,” he said. “Not a single person’s going to be on the Lakefill and not know that song.”

In a news release, Mayfest director of concerts Grant Pender said Joey Bada$$ was the most-requested artist from Mayfest’s student body survey.

“We think he’s a perfect fit for the Daytime Headliner slot — an MC that can bring the hype just as well as he can spit lyrical wordplay, who’s going to create a frenzy midday on the Lakefill,” he said.

Joey Bada$$ is the final act to be announced for Dillo Day. Alternative rock band Young the Giant will headline the festival, while EDM artist TOKiMONSTA, R&B artist Daniel Caesar and indie rock band Whitney will also perform.

Mayfest co-chair Keaton Sullivan said the group is excited to see Joey Bada$$ perform in the daytime headliner slot.

“We were considering different hip-hop acts, we were definitely focusing on acts that were very lyrically talented, and Joey Bada$$ absolutely fits that criteria,” he said.

Dillo Day is set for June 2.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan