EDM artist TOKiMONSTA to perform at Dillo Day

Source: Abel Fermin/Rex Shutterstock/Zuma Press/TNS

TOKiMONSTA performs on the Parlor stage at the Panorama Music Festival on July 23, 2016 in Randalls Island, N.Y. The EDM artist will perform at Dillo Day, Mayfest announced Thursday.

Jonah Dylan, Campus Editor

EDM artist TOKiMONSTA will perform at Dillo Day, Mayfest announced Thursday.

The California native’s third album, Lune Rouge, was released in 2017 and garnered critical acclaim. She has also collaborated with a number of other artists, including Jessie Ware, Anderson .Paak and Kelly Rowland.

TOKiMONSTA, whose real name is Jennifer Lee, released Lune Rouge after she was diagnosed with Moyamoya, a rare neurovascular condition, in 2015. She released the album after undergoing two brain surgeries.

“During its creation, I faced some of the most difficult and uplifting moments of my life,” she said in a Mayfest news release. “Seeing myself at the edge of my own mortality and how I chose to move past is a story told in this album.”

In the release, Mayfest director of concerts Grant Pender said TOKiMONSTA has consistently released interesting albums and said she would bring energy to the Lakefill.

“(TOKiMONSTA is) ​also ​interesting because she’s a very versatile electronic act; she doesn’t just fit into the box of ‘EDM,’” Pender said. “Her repertoire contains everything from ambient/psychedelic tracks, to beats she’s produced with hip hop artists, to more traditional pop/dance tracks.​”

The EDM artist is the second act announced for Dillo Day. Last week, Mayfest announced that R&B artist Daniel Caesar will also perform.

Mayfest co-director of promotions Sarah Wong said the group is excited to host TOKiMONSTA at Dillo Day.

“It’s a rare and fortunate opportunity to introduce a female EDM artist to Dillo Day, especially because there are so few in this genre,” the McCormick junior said. “TOKiMONSTA’s music offers a different kind of energy to the lineup, which we’re really looking forward to hearing.”

Dillo Day is set for June 2.

Correction: Due to incorrect information from a Mayfest news release, a previous version of this story misstated Grant Pender’s position. Pender is the director of concerts. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan