Blotter: Skokie woman charged with unlawful use of weapon

Nikki Baim, Reporter

A 20-year-old Skokie woman was charged with unlawful use of a weapon in west Evanston.

The woman disobeyed a stop sign at Dempster Street and Fowler Avenue at 5:55 p.m. on Saturday, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. An officer conducting traffic enforcement in the area stopped her vehicle, which had an expired license plate.

The officer smelled cannabis when he approached the vehicle and asked the woman for her license and insurance, but she did not produce a license. Police then told the woman to turn off the car. She hesitated, but did not comply, Glew said.

When other officers arrived to search the vehicle, the woman stepped out of the car to call her mother. Glew said officers found a stun gun taser under the driver’s seat and what they suspected was cannabis in the center console.

The woman was charged with a misdemeanor for the stun gun and cited for disobeying a stop sign and an expired registration.

Evanston man charged with disobedience to police

A 20-year-old Evanston man was arrested Saturday in connection with disobedience to police and cannabis possession in south Evanston.

Officers saw a running vehicle with expired registration in the 2100 block of Dobson Street around 11 p.m., Glew said. The driver was rolling a cigarette with a “green leafy substance” and the car smelled like cannabis.

Officers asked the man to step out of the vehicle so they could conduct a search, Glew said. The man yelled at the officers, who then asked him to put his hands on the trunk of the car so they could perform a pat down.

Glew said when the man refused to comply, officers said they would handcuff him. The man attempted to resist them as he was handcuffed. Police then searched the vehicle, in which they found 10 grams of cannabis.

He was charged with a city ordinance of disobeying the police and possession of cannabis.

Twitter: @nikkibaim