Charles Whitaker named interim dean of Medill

Source: Charles Whitaker

Charles Whitaker. The Medill Prof. was named interim dean of Medill on Wednesday.

Jonah Dylan, Campus Editor

Medill Prof. Charles Whitaker has been named interim dean of the Medill School of Journalism, the school announced Wednesday.

Whitaker, who will take over on July 1, is currently the associate dean and Helen Gurley Brown Magazine Chair at Medill. He joined the Medill faculty in 1993.

“Medill is renowned as one of the leading schools of both journalism and integrated marketing communications,” Whitaker said in a statement. “It is unusual to be so strong in both of these areas, and it is one of the things that makes Medill special. I look forward to collaborating with my fellow faculty, Medill students and our dedicated staff as we continue to educate students who will become leaders in their professions.”

He will succeed Brad Hamm, who announced on April 11 that he would step down after serving in that role since 2012.

In an email to Medill students, Provost Jonathan Holloway said Whitaker’s experience made him a qualified candidate for the position.

“Charles brings a thorough understanding of the school, an outstanding record as a teacher and mentor to students and a great deal of relevant administrative experience,” Holloway said. “We will soon begin a national search for a successor to Dean Brad Hamm, who will step down at the end of this academic year. I am confident that Medill will continue to thrive under Charles’ leadership as interim dean while we conduct the search.”

Whitaker came to Medill after working at a number of publications, including Ebony Magazine and the Miami Herald. He also teaches in the School of Professional Studies and the Medill-Northwestern Journalism Institute, also called the Cherub program.

Twitter: @thejonahdylan