Men’s Tennis: Coach Arvid Swan to take personal leave of absence

Daily file photo by David Lee

Coach Arvid Swan (left) and interim coach Chris Klingemann (second from left) stand for the national anthem. Swan will be taking a personal leave of absence for health reasons, according to a news release from the athletic department.

Benjy Apelbaum, Assistant Sports Editor

Men’s Tennis

Northwestern head coach Arvid Swan is taking a personal leave of absence from the team to address a personal health issue, the athletic department announced in a news release Thursday. Associate coach Chris Klingemann will take over interim head coaching duties until Swan’s return.

“Our entire department supports Arvid and his family during this challenging time,” athletic director Jim Phillips said in the release. “We look forward to seeing him back on the court with our student-athletes.”

Swan, who was named ITA Midwest Region coach of the year in 2016, was in the middle of his 11th season at the helm of the program. Under his command, the team has qualified for six consecutive NCAA Tournaments and has accumulated a 173-113 record. However, the 2017-18 season has not gone as well, as the team is 4-8 after its top three players graduated last season.

Klingemann, the regional assistant coach of the year in 2016, has been on the NU coaching staff for seven seasons and has been in his current position of associate head coach for the last four. His first match in charge of the Wildcats will come against No. 6 Illinois on Friday.

Twitter: @benjyapelbaum