Jean Shedd to step down as associate provost

Catherine Henderson, Assistant City Editor

Jean Shedd, the associate provost for budget, facilities and analysis, will retire at the end of the academic year, according to a Thursday news release.

Shedd served for 42 years at NU and 19 as associate provost. She contributed to creating and revamping physical spaces, including the Block Museum of Art and University Library, the release said. Before becoming associate provost, she served in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, Feinberg School of Medicine and Medill School of Journalism, Media, Integrated Marketing Communications.

Provost Jonathan Holloway said in the release that he “had the honor” of working with Shedd over the past eight months and praised her “wit and mentorship.”

“Jean Shedd is the epitome of a true university citizen,” Holloway said. “Her incredible capacity, energy and graciousness of manner have made her a role model for staff, faculty and students at Northwestern.”

Shedd also had a strong presence in the Association of Northwestern University Women since the organization’s creation in 1989. According to the release, she served as the president of the association and worked to include all women staff. She also served on committees focusing on family leave and child care to provide options for faculty, staff and students.

“I have very much enjoyed my time at Northwestern,” Shedd said in the release. “I’ve had the pleasure of working with truly amazing faculty, staff and students. Their creativity and dedication have helped the University achieve high levels of excellence. Northwestern is strong and growing stronger, and I am proud to have been able to contribute to that growth.”

Twitter: @caity_henderson