A&O announces comedian Jessica Williams as fall speaker

Comedian+Jessica+Williams+is+A%26O+Productions%E2%80%99+fall+speaker.+Williams+hosts+a+podcast%2C+%E2%80%9C2+Dope+Queens%2C%E2%80%9D+and+formerly+appeared+as+a+correspondent+on+%E2%80%9CThe+Daily+Show.%E2%80%9D+

Source: Jessica Williams on Facebook

Comedian Jessica Williams is A&O Productions’ fall speaker. Williams hosts a podcast, “2 Dope Queens,” and formerly appeared as a correspondent on “The Daily Show.”

Ally Mauch, Assistant Campus Editor

Comedian Jessica Williams will come to Northwestern on Sunday night as A&O Productions’ fall speaker, the group announced in a Tuesday release.

Williams formerly served as the first black woman and youngest correspondent on “The Daily Show,” and now hosts a podcast, “2 Dope Queens,” with her friend and fellow comedian Phoebe Robinson, the release said. The Nov. 12 event — co-organized by A&O, College Feminists, One Book One Northwestern and the Multicultural Filmmakers Collective — will be held in Cahn Auditorium.

A&O speakers chair Kelly Eichenholz told The Daily that Williams is an “emblematic example” of diversity in the entertainment industry and meets some of A&O’s goals of bringing “relevant and dynamic” stand-up comedians to campus.

“She has a lot to say about identity and equality, or lack of equality in the industry,” the Communication senior said. “It’s really this great combination of entertainment and productive thinking so that people can walk away after enjoying themselves and also have those important discussions.”

Williams has also appeared in HBO’s “Girls” and stars in Netflix’s film, “The Incredible Jessica James.”

“Williams is a talented comedian, writer and performer who has garnered the
attention of television audiences with her influential voice, perspective, and wit around pop culture conversations in media,” the release said.

This story was updated at 11:40 to include comment from A&O speakers chair Kelly Eichenholz.

Twitter: @allymauch